SEATTLE, Washington — Charlize Theron, the Oscar-winning actress and activist, was born in South Africa during Apartheid. Since rising to fame in the 1990s, Theron has dedicated her platform to various causes such as women’s rights and animal rights. She was named a U.N. Messenger of Peace in 2008 after creating The Charlize Theron Africa Outreach Project (CTAOP). The CTAOP aims to fight HIV/AIDS among African youth. Theron has fought throughout her career for the people of Africa. Below are the top humanitarian quotes by Charlize Theron.
Top Humanitarian Quotes by Charlize Theron
- Launching her CTAOP App in 2017: “Sometimes it feels too big — when you really think about all the social drivers that are fueling this epidemic: poverty, sexism, racism, homophobia. You have moments when it feels like there is no way to possibly tackle it all. But we can’t not try. We must try.”
- An interview with PAPER on increasing HIV/AIDS awareness: “We have to be able to see it and address it for what it is. And I think that’s what we’re lacking. We’re in denial a lot about the truth and how to communicate about this disease, and when you live in communities where you are ostracized for having a virus, of course, you’re not going to want anyone to know. And that needs to change.”
- Glamour’s 2019 Women of the Year Awards: “The point is we need to help the hard-hearted to empathize with others. Like sexual assault survivors, people living with AIDS, our trans community, children who are different or who have special needs. The women in this room tonight are putting themselves on the front line of the empathy battle, be it through storytelling, creating opportunities for those that need it most or just unabashedly being yourself and telling other women we don’t have to apologize for who we are.”
- The 2019 annual GEANCO fundraiser: “I grew up during the Apartheid era; I benefitted from it. These children [today]were all born post-Apartheid era. I feel like it’s my duty to not let them forget and to also let them know that there is [unity], that I am with them, that we are standing together.”
- An interview promoting the Toms X Charlize Theron Africa Outreach Project Collection: “Everyone has a part to play in making our world better. I’ve been fortunate enough to have been given an opportunity and a platform to speak about an issue that is very important to me.” I hope that maybe one talk given or one-piece written reaches someone in a way that encourages or inspires them to do what they can to make a difference.”
- The 2013 World Economic Forum’s annual Crystal Award Ceremony: “I don’t take for granted the opportunities that are awarded to me as an entertainer. I feel a certain sense of responsibility to do something meaningful with these opportunities as an artist in the spotlight.”
Charlize Theron has proven time and again that she cares about the world. These top humanitarian quotes by Charlize Theron show how she feels about important issues. She is not afraid to use her platform to help people and encourage others to do the same.
– Alyson Kaufman