SEATTLE — Grammy award-winning singer Rihanna has not only topped the Billboard charts, but she has also helped children in Africa receive an education. Rihanna’s most notable stride in helping those in need began in 2012 when she created the Clara Lionel Foundation. Her foundation’s mission was to help impoverished communities across the globe with education and healthcare. Rihanna gives back to those in need because she feels it’s her duty as a celebrity. Here are the best Rihanna quotes about giving back.
Best Rihanna Quotes
- In 2017, Rihanna visited a school in Malawi in an effort to better its education. The Global Partnership of Education and Rihanna’s Clara Lionel Foundation along with Global Citizens advocate strengthening Malawi’s education system.
“It’s such a pity that they have to drop out because they are so smart, and everybody is learning together and learning at the same pace . . . they could probably do so much if they had the resources to continue and complete,” said Rihanna.
- After visiting Malawi, Rihanna saw the treacherous journey girls had to take to get to school — especially those in rural areas. Through her charity, she donated bicycles so the girls could travel to school.
“[The initiative] will be solely dedicated to helping the young girls of Malawi get to school safely, cutting down those very long walks they make to and from school all alone,” Rihanna explained.
- Rihanna received the Harvard University Humanitarian of the Year Award in 2017. Harvard wanted to acknowledge the pop star’s humanitarian efforts, including building oncology centers in Barbados for women with breast cancer. Her speech was not only informative and showcased how humbled the megastar was, but it showcased her passion as she encouraged everyone to give back:
“All you need to do is help one person, expecting nothing in return. To me, that is a humanitarian.”
- After raising $2.3 billion to support education in under-served countries in 2018, Rihanna gave a speech thanking people for their contributions.
“We have a long way to go,” she said, “This is a fight we’re never gonna stop fighting until every boy and every girl has access to education.”
- At Rihanna’s fourth annual Clara Lionel Foundation gala event in 2018, the Diamond Ball (a fundraiser to raise money for her charity), she accumulated large sums of money for her organization.
“I don’t think it’s fair to turn your back on someone else who needs help just because it doesn’t fit into the bracket of your mold,” she said.
Pop sensation Rihanna is all about giving back to those in need. While serving her community in Barbados with centers for breast cancer screening, she used her platform to serve those less fortunate than her. These Rihanna quotes not only show her dedication to charity, but also her influence on others to give back.
– Andrew Valdovinos
Photo: Wikimedia Commons