NIGERIA, Benue — David Adeleke, widely recognized as Davido, ranks among the world’s most renowned and prosperous artists. Born as David Adedeji Adeleke, he was raised in Nigeria but was born in Atlanta, Georgia, United States. In 2011, he commenced his music career, captivating audiences worldwide with a string of chart-topping hits, including “Dami Duro,” “Ekuro” and “Gobe.” Yet, Davido’s impact extends beyond music; he actively engages in humanitarian initiatives and acts of benevolence to alleviate poverty. Many celebrate him as a man of the people, extending his hand to countless known and unknown individuals, embodying the philosophy of “rising by lifting others.”
- Signing Mayorkun to DMW Music Label: Davido, credited with nurturing the dreams of many budding African artists, provided another opportunity to a rising star from Nigeria by signing the young singer Mayorkun to his record label, DMW. Mayorkun’s journey to fame began with a viral cover of Davido’s song “The Money” on social media. Davido decided to bring Mayorkun into the spotlight. Today, Mayorkun’s fame is inseparable from Davido’s, underscoring the transformative influence of Davido’s philosophy: “We rise by lifting others.”
- Donating 15 Million Naira to Staff of MMI Airport: In 2018, Davido quietly donated 15 million naira to the Murtala Muhammad International Airport staff. His acts of benevolence played a pivotal role in covering the medical expenses of an ailing airport staff member. Although Davido’s philanthropic gesture remained undisclosed initially, the airport later organized an event on April 18 to express gratitude to the music star.
- Paying Utibe’s School Fees and Building a House for His Mother: In 2017, Davido helped an impoverished young man and his family through his humanitarian endeavors to reduce poverty. The young man, Utibe from Nigeria, caught Davido’s attention through a video of him singing one of Davido’s songs on social media. Davido learned that Utibe could not afford to enroll in school and offered to pay for him to complete his education until the highest level, exemplifying his dedication to eradicating barriers to education. Davido also built a house for Utibe’s mother. Utibe, a single mother of four facing physical challenges, had been residing in a makeshift dwelling with her children.
- Donating 200 Million Naira to an Orphanage: In 2021, Davido demonstrated his unwavering commitment to poverty reduction by donating N200 million raised during his birthday celebration to orphanages. Within 27 hours of sharing his account details on social media, Davido raised N200 million from Nigerian celebrities, fans and fellow artists. He said, “I started calling famous people… I was like, ‘Common, you know I made a hit song for you last year.’” Davido’s philanthropy again emphasized his belief that “we rise by lifting others.” He supplemented the raised funds with his personal contribution. He then assembled a committee and allocated the money to orphanages across Nigeria.
- Donating Dolce and Gabbana Proceeds to COVID-19 Research: Davido donated the proceeds from his “Dolce and Gabbana” music video to COVID-19 research. This gesture stemmed from his girlfriend Chioma’s personal experience with the pandemic. When speaking with CNN about the donation, Davido shared their family’s experience, emphasizing the importance of contributing to COVID-19 research.
- Donating $5,000 To Rwandan Music School: On March 12, 2018, Davido donated $5,000 to a Rwandan music school to uplift the quality of music produced in Rwanda and enhance the country’s music industry. This donation underscored Davido’s recognition of Rwanda’s growth potential and his commitment to reducing global poverty.
- Donating 1 Million Naira to Jide Sanyaolu: Davido extended his humanitarian services to Jide Sanyaolu, a student at the University of Liverpool who faced challenges covering his tuition fees. Sanyaolu had initiated a GoFundMe account, which Davido discovered and decided to support. This act of generosity exemplifies Davido’s consistent efforts to alleviate poverty within Nigeria and for Nigerians in the diaspora.
Davido’s life is a testament to the profound impact one can make on poverty reduction through acts of kindness and generosity. His “rising by lifting others” philosophy has transformed countless individuals’ lives and inspired others to follow in his footsteps. Davido’s commitment to uplifting those in need through his music and acts of benevolence remains a beacon of hope for a brighter future.
– Hassan Idris